Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Step One


Step One from Alcoholics Anonymous' Twelve Steps states "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanageable". Very many different groups adapt these steps to whatever is troubling them from drug use, overeating, gambling, emotions, etc. The idea is that in admitting powerlessness we gain power from a power greater than ourselves and we are able to quit whatever troublesome behaviour is plaguing us. The rest of the steps gives us the tools to accomplish this. I know that this process can work because I did quit drinking and used the steps to find a healthier way to live. I also know that other addictions can come to fill the "addiction void". Though preferable to the damage done by drinking, my food addiction has been driving me absolutely bonkers for quite some time now. The one thing that gives me hope is that I have been able to quit smoking despite many previous attempts to quit. I keep hoping that I will eventually "get it" and eating healthfully will come easily and everything will fall into place. Right now I want to wrap myself inside a blanket (to cover my chubbiness) and hide from the world. I have admitted Step One over and over and over again. I was always good at Step One. It is Steps Two and Three that give me grief. But I did quit smoking! For me in this food context, Step Two entails believing that I can eat healthily, exercise and lose weight. Step Three is deciding to do what is necessary to accomplish this. At meetings I have heard this little parable: If a frog decides to jump off the log into the water, where is he? Answer: Still on the log of course. He has only decided. He hasn't taken action. Bring on the rest of the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment