Thursday, October 22, 2009

Momentum

The hardest thing about forming a new habit or eradicating an old one is building momentum. After many unsuccessful attempts at quitting smoking, I am finally entering day 6 of quitting smoking. The addition of the "one day at a time" philosophy reinforces this momentum. "Now I have one day", "Now I have two days"..."Let's see if I can complete this sixth day"... and so on and so on. Now I have momentum on my side.

I was beginning to believe that I couldn't quit so it feels really good to have some success this time. I feel good that I am doing something healthy for my body and it makes me hopeful that I can make further changes that will enhance my health. I am looking forward to gaining more energy to do other things that I want to do. The old adage "If at first you don't succeed, try try again" is so true.

"On this path no effort is wasted,
no gain is ever reversed;
even a little of this practice
will shelter you from great sorrow."
- Bhagavad Gita

No comments:

Post a Comment